View Single Post
Old 2008-10-11, 13:33   Link #35
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
Well Gundam isn't Hard Science Fiction. It's a TV-show that uses with consistency the following tropes:
-humanoid robots are superior to conventional weapon: if it weren't for this trope, most Mecha-Anime wouldn't exist...
-vehicles are explosives, especially when powered with a power source including that includes in its description the word "nuclear".
-nukes are like very powerfull dynamite sticks: remember in Turn-A when
Spoiler for spoiler:

-and numerous other...

If you don't accept these and start nitpicking details as if it was hard science fiction, you'll spoil yourself the entertainment, as I did myself when Wing was airing 10 years ago in my country (WTF! beam-SCYTHES!!!!!! That's way too far unrealistic!!! )
I think I'll just copy this from TV tropes, about the Minovsky Particle:

Quote:
It is worth noting that the Minovsky Particles were designed specifically to allow or even encourage the existence of giant combat robots. The series creator has definitely read and possibly even written a few reports stating that interstellar combat will take place at distances and speeds that make human involvement at anything past the planning stages dangerously wasteful... barring unpredicted advances such as the Minovsky Particle.
Also, about beam scythes? Its not nearly as unrealistic when you take into account how beam melee weaponry works in the Gundam universe: Its nothing more than a magnetic field shaped into a bladed weapon, containing the energy that makes it a beam weapon. When the magnetic field makes contact with something, the field is disrupted, releasing the energy to do its work and melt through whatever the MS is attacking.

Therefore, changing the magnetic field to form a scythe blade instead of a saber blade wouldn't be that hard to imagine--it can be done for virtually any kind of melee weapon.