View Single Post
Old 2011-04-17, 15:08   Link #89
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
What started as an anime slot designed to appeal to young women with shows like H&C, ParaKiss and Nodame, now seems to give that audience rather short shrift. And their most recent josei show, Kuragehime, had an obvious "otaku" bent that wasn't a feature of the first couple of years of noitaminA.
Not at all, the 3rd noitamina show (ayakashi) was not josei at all. Noitamina exists to widen the audience of Anime, including to young women. In that sense if there's any tendency in Noitamina it's to avoid obvious "Otaku bait" shows.

Hourou Musuko may be Seinen, but I could easily see it appealing to women more then Men, with it's soft art style, dramatic plot and gender issues explored.

Of their current crop I could see AnoHana appealing to women, and obviously Usagi drop next season.

If we look at the previous few seasons they seem to be following a kind of balanced approach with 1 drama show generally aimed at women, and something more SF/Fantasy aimed at Men, but both being enjoyable by either demographic.
This season we have AnoHana (women) and C (Men).
Last was Fractale (men) and Horou Musuko (women),
Before that Kuragehime and Moyashimon (women) and Shiki (men).
Next season is Usagi Drop (women) and No. 6 (men).
This seems a pretty good tactic to me as they're hitting both demographics evenly.

Some are decrying the 1 cour series as well, but if you look at Noitamina's history only 3 series have been 2 cour(Honey and Clover, Nodame Cantabile and Shiki) so this is obviously they're style. I would prefer if they had 12 episode seasons over the rather short 11.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote