View Single Post
Old 2007-07-01, 08:11   Link #55
toru310

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Yeah should be ok.

I bought a ATI x1950pro yesterday so I had to get a new PSU. These were what was recommended to me fo your future refenrence.

Coolermaster (particularly the igreen and real power series, I bought a 500w igreen)
Zalman
Antec

As for fans, I'd swap the placement around. Big fan at the back and small fan on the side. Why? Well it's better to have negative pressure in your case. What's that mean? Well it means more air out going. Remember your case is not air tight. By having negative pressure more air will be sucked in through all the little nooks and crannies and vents thereby there will be more air moving and circulating over your parts. Basically you're using the intake fans as a secondary way to promote ventilation, the suction of negative pressure will be the primary source of ventilation

By having positive pressure (more air in than out), the air will stagnate and heat up instead of dissipating it.

Ok for example I run 3x120mm Antec tricool fans which have a variable speed control switch in my HTPC and they're cheap too. Actually 4 if you count the 120mm fan in my PSU. The front and side fan, they are intakes, but they are at the lowest settings. The rear fan works with the PSU fan as exhaust and that is at the mid setting. I also use a CoolerMaster Hyper TX Cpu heatsink (I O/C ed my CPU) which also has a 90mm fan also circulating air. NOw you may wonder why I use such massive fans, well remember this PC is a Home Theatre PC first and gaming platform second. All my RAM/PCI/PCIE slots are taken up. I have HDTV tuner, Video capture card, GFX card, SPDIF out, 4 gigs RAM, Wifi etc etc. 120mm fans rotate slower to push more air. Less RPM's equals less noise. For all intents and purposes this PC is silent from a distance of 1m well before where my couch is. I mean who sits any close to a big screen TV?

Ambient temps in my pc are about 25-29C, my vid card sits between 40-45C, CPU/MOBO/RAM/HDD all sit between 24-27C. Now for the downside, I have to clean this PC ever 5 or 6 months. Well not really but it's just to prevent dust build up. But hey, I'm not confident enough to try watercooling yet. It's still fairly new to home PC's and I'll wait a year or two to see how the watercooling sytems are holding up

Honestly man, don't be scared to try yourself. The PSU connections can only go in one place and in one way. If you're still not confident, pull the connectors out one by one. Have a look on your new PSU and look for a connector that looks exactly like it.
The last time I did an experiment with my pc I can't put it back so I got trauma and I can't do it anymore..And I never learned how to put a PSU so it will be difficult if I don't know how to put it back. Sorry I just can't do it alone maybe If I have someone with me who knows how to do it hands on maybe I'll give it a try. I was thinking of adding more fans anyways.. P.S. when ever I dismantle my pc my hands shake alot. Also this may sound a liitle embarrassing but when ever I upgrade my PC I let the technician do all the work..sorry but I'll say to him what you recommend..

As for my surge protector my sister bought it for like 9$ do you think this thing is enough?
Spoiler:

Can some please tell me what are the signs of power supply failure?? I know this is annoying but I have to know so that I can be ready for the worse case scenario.
I just hope that my PSU won't fail because 550w of power will be a waste and its branded.

Sorry sorry sorry...

Last edited by toru310; 2007-07-01 at 08:50.
toru310 is offline   Reply With Quote