View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 21:51   Link #24
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I've been in and out of anime over the years. In the 1960s, I watched Speed Racer, Astroboy, Gigantor, live-action Ultraman. I was just barely aware they were something called "japanimation". After that was a long dark period. In the 1980s, anime just looked annoying to me - lots of shouting, explosions, and occasional boobage. Most of what I was seeing was "anime for young boys" and it didn't appeal to me.

There was a short period in the 90s when my sons were Pokemon freaks. That's when I became aware that we weren't necessarily getting a correct picture from the dubs/edited shows Americans got (always wondered why Misty and Ash just seemed static as a not-couple and why they kept calling mochi "donuts").

It wasn't until 2000, I started getting a clue that there was a whole raft of anime that was flying under my radar: romance, drama, comedy, daily life, etc. Reading Megatokyo and the author's blog - got me interested enough to figure out how to download Love Hina ... and I was hooked. That series doesn't hold up well and now I've read the manga but my interest spiraled across a number of genre to what it is today. I still don't care much for "bang, boom, and shouts" but there is a whole mess of other stuff out there.