View Single Post
Old 2013-09-01, 20:41   Link #2101
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Bah, give me Valkyries.

Like I mentioned last year, the anime that would have the best chance of easily curbstomping the BETA is Macross - well, at least post-Macross Plus. A single Uraga-class or Saratoga-class carrier battlegroup - hell, a single Saratoga itself! - could cleanse Earth of BETA, because all they would need to do is get into high orbit, and then fire beam cannons at the BETA hives. At the ranges normal Macross ships fight, orbital fires out of the range of Laser and Heavy Laser-class BETA is a trivial excercise.

And again, for Wild Weasel missions, every production Valkyrie after 2040 came equipped with a pinpoint barrier - even the grunt mook VF-171 Nightmare Plus in Frontier has a PPB equipped. Given the high speeds VFs fly at, the PPB would be able to give enough protection to survive several hits from Laser-class BETA, particularly when we consider that a Laser-class is going to take several seconds to kill you.

Of course, VFs have issues with ammo storage - a single TSF assault cannon magazine has more ammo than a Valkyrie carries - but they've also got faster turnaround time than TSFs, so that's an advantage. It's basically combined arms, really.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote