Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-03-23, 11:38   Link #6658
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
I think you're making a big assumption regarding the other throw of the Kaiser being inevitable. I'll point out that the overthrow was done under the circumstances of the Germans suddenlly finding their enemies having a fantastically large new supply of troop reserves in the Americans. The coup took place under the circumstance of it being blatantly clear that Germany was now going to lose militarily.

It wasn't just Germany that was having morale and logistical issues. Some of Frances most productive farmland was now in the control of the Germans. And elements of the French frank and file were on the verge of mutiny. A scenario without an American intervention could see the French war effort collapsing instead of the Germans. This might not result in outright victory for the Germans, but the war ending a truce with conditions favorable to the Germans is a very real possibility.

I will contest iLney's assertion that this kind of ending for WW1 would prevent a WW2. You'd still have everyone in Europe eager to fight each other just with the instability getting and anger getting shifted around a little. You'd likely still have a WW2, just with different actors under different circumstances.

This. It may be a better idea for Google PR wise at least to force the Chinese into action rather than initiate it themselves.

It's not like forcing the Chinese to kick them out hurts them anymore than just leaving themselves.
More so, Wilson played a key role in the dismembering of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, leaving only Germany as potential Central European power, tearing apart century old multinational communities, and allowing for the rise of conflicting nationalism between and within the newly formed states.