View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 08:33   Link #72
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Now we are heading to a completely different subject, but whatever.

Of course everyone wants directly in control in what they want to see get created.
But you do know that you are wishing for something nearly impossible seeing how this capitalstic world works.
The individual consumer usually does not have the resources and the power to have any influence over any big projects in this world.
This is not just limited to anime, but for everything.
Nonsense. It's called Crowdfunding, and it already exists. From my knowledge of Anime production, that's enough to fund a 13 episode Anime (given that anime production is ~150k-300k an episode). And, of course, crowd funding is still in it's infancy. Those numbers will only increase.

If the Anime industry sticks to making money through optical disc sales, they'll die along with the optical disc format which is rapidly becoming obsolete.
Quote:
Also it seems you are boycotting this for the wrong reasons. Artists needs to eat, yes. But without any big projects, they won't be able to eat.
Not that i am defending how the anime industry (actually this applies to every major company) works, seeing that the top and the investors gets most of the profit while the rest of the staff just get paid based on their wages. But that is how the whole capitalistic system works .
I'm not against the capitalist system. I just think we need to move to a new system of financing to meet the needs and new opportunities of the 21st century. The current system is fitted to an analogue age of videos and broadcasts. Not to a digital age of downloads and Youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
And that's the point of the system. In an era where you can easily record broadcasts to watch later, does it make sense to try and crack down on "pirated" anime in the first place? Setting aside the issue of people outside of Japan (who are not under this law in the first place and have a much higher barrier t the market unless you're in Korea or Taiwan), the anime industry as a whole recognizes reality and have adjusted to it, with DVDs being more of getting back the investment and all other products (figures, OVAs, games, etc) being the ones that lead to extra income. It's because of the core way the system works that doujinshis and such can flourish without much problems: Doujinshis lead to the growth of the fan base, who might buy the DVDs (thus contributing to getting the investment back) and the related products (making a profit). Such a system does not really work for the music and movie industry, thus they were the ones pushing for this law.
Indeed. I doubt the anime industry will try to enforce these laws (they've been generally lenient towards piracy in the past). Still, I think that they're limiting themselves by sticking to optical discs. Optical discs are a dead medium. Many computers now don't even come with DVD drives(let alone Blue-ray). I haven't used my DVD drive in about a year.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote