View Single Post
Old 2012-10-04, 08:40   Link #73
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyl View Post
Figures: The majority of the profit goes the people who make the figures
OAV: You do know it's technically a non broadcasted anime episode. Which means it has the same costs as an actual episode except for the costs related to reserving airing slots on tv.
games: Those are entirely different projects by themselves, with their own investments and costs.
Figures: Any money that goes to the studio is a profit. There is no need to really discuss who gets how much of the revenue from figure sales.
OAV: And how much do you think the TV slots are worth? A cost not spent is a potential source of income or alternative investment.
Games: Same as the figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
If the Anime industry sticks to making money through optical disc sales, they'll die along with the optical disc format which is rapidly becoming obsolete.
I'm not against the capitalist system. I just think we need to move to a new system of financing to meet the needs and new opportunities of the 21st century. The current system is fitted to an analogue age of videos and broadcasts. Not to a digital age of downloads and Youtube.

Indeed. I doubt the anime industry will try to enforce these laws (they've been generally lenient towards piracy in the past). Still, I think that they're limiting themselves by sticking to optical discs. Optical discs are a dead medium. Many computers now don't even come with DVD drives(let alone Blue-ray). I haven't used my DVD drive in about a year.
Well, two things about that:

1. DVDs are a lot more common in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, than elsewhere. A lot of people want to have physical copies, which still drives various physical forms of recorders/players.
2. Quite a few people buy the boxes just to keep it. I happen to be one of those (I usually buy three copies, one for backup, one for permanent display, one for use).

In fact, if anything, the digital age is driving the sales of DVDs by creating the demands through the building of the fan base.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote