View Single Post
Old 2013-06-23, 17:06   Link #78
Folenfant
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtwandler View Post
So much hate for this movie. Probably it's to old-fashioned for modern audience.

9.5/10 from me and haters... they could just go to Hell
I sort of think that's it almost a part of it now. It's the kind of movie that totally runs against the grain of modern late night anime makeups with it's usually pretty straight forward themes and character interactions, and that demographic largely makes up the majority of today's anime viewing audience. It feels like it's out of time and place almost, like it belongs in the 80's and early 90's with all of those mind bending concept films that raise far more questions than they are willing to answer. It probably has a lot to do with it being an adaptation of an adaptation based on a book from the 70's getting made in 2012.

I don't think the haters need to go to hell though (even if they accuse me of trolling or not ) because everyone is entitled to an opinion even if I personally think some people are rushing to conclusions (part of the reason I'm taking this film slow and in parts as it's a heavily anticipated one I want to make sure I have a full grasp on and was forewarned of it's thematic complexity), I'm just really understanding their viewpoints less and less as I press on with this film past the one hour mark. I'm almost fearful of the kind of reaction that the upcoming Short Peace (also produced Sunrise who is on a roll with unorthodox anime films this summer and also looking good) gets now what with being an omnibus format and all. I can already envision it getting hammered for being a series of vignettes that aren't fleshed out enough despite one of them getting some Oscar consideration and winning the Japanese Media Arts Award of Excellence. I mostly predict culture clash being a theme of the threads.

@Revan21: My hope is that I'll be able to answer your questions shortly. Not making any promises though.

Last edited by Folenfant; 2013-06-23 at 17:27.
Folenfant is offline   Reply With Quote