View Single Post
Old 2010-05-26, 03:03   Link #1902
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
P.S. I'm an old hand EVA fan too, but I think arguing about how the movie compares to the series is a pointless exercise, as they're two different entities made of two different eras. Also, take note that the Rebuild movies are directed from a very different Anno than from fifteen years ago.
I totally agree with you. I am a MASSIVE Eva geek, and have been ever since I first started watching the show in '96. But it's one of those things that's so close to me that I don't like talking about it online much... Anyway,, to me, the TV series and EoE are as close to perfection as I'm ever likely to see, with even the flaws somehow contributing to the greatness of the whole.

AND I LOVE THE NEW MOVIES. Both of them have been gorgeous, exciting, tender, and moving. Yes, stuff has been changed. Yes, stuff has been cut. Yes, stuff has been added. And of course, it doesn't compare to the first time I watched the series, where I really had NO idea what each episode would bring. And yeah...I miss the interactions between the some of the characters. But the TV show's still there; I can still pop in the DVDs whenever I like. I'm enjoying the feeling of being an Eva fan in "real time" again, not *quite* sure what's going to come next, and excited to see how this version of the story plays itself out.

And hey...it's a lot more interesting than Sadamoto's manga (which I like but don't love).

And at the VERY least, for the people who don't like the movies, even if the characters don't grab you the same way, even if you hate Mari, even if the truncated plot bugs you, you still get to see ridiculously overpowered Angels being taken down by ridiculously overpowered Evas...and, I don't know about you, but but that certainly makes ME feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
Yot-chan is offline   Reply With Quote