Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-11-24, 11:42   Link #4712
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Isn't it dangerous to create tiny black holes? I heard one such thing can suck up enough matter beyond its events horizon (I think it's marked yellow) to destroy Switzerland and half the France under certain circumstances.
There's been a lot of concern, but as the good physicists at CERN tell us, according to current known theory, they couldn't create black holes at all... And even if they were wrong about that, they would never have time or mass to become stable... And even if they were wrong about that, they'd still be so small as to be harmless...

Like the rest of the varying schools of thought in modern physics, it's built on a lot of precarious assumptions and hokey religious interpretations of data. In short, a bunch of hooey. The good news is that, a bunch of hooey or not, the math tends to work out. That's basically how it works: We take the math we know works, form our nonsense interpretations, and refine our nonsense as we confirm things that were previously unknown. That's exactly the purpose of these experiments, in fact.

So don't worry: According to most of our divergent hypotheses about how the universe works, we'll probably be fine!

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.