View Single Post
Old 2012-10-26, 02:39   Link #30995
Drifloon

Quote:
This is pretty much exactly why she can't be the culprit. She's a red herring.
I wouldn't say that, it probably just means that someone else killed George. It'd be pretty hard for Eva to have done it anyway. The fantasy scene seems to suggest that George saw Shannon alive before he was killed, so that makes it pretty clear that Yasu did it, though I admit that I never really understood the motive for it (or for any of the murders that occur after the eighth twilight in all games).

Quote:
I know there are critics saying the story makes no sense if you can't trust the Author but the irony is I DO trust the Author.I trust he's NOT Incompetent, I trust he didn't screw up the story and I DO trust the very rules he gave the story so the actual truth is the Shkanon believers are the ones not trusting Ryukishi as they're the ones thinking he messed up.
Haha, I haven't seen that part of the video yet, but that's pretty funny. Yes, I can see how that must appeal to people. Thinking that they're part of the elite, who beat the game on a higher difficulty than everyone else, so they can look down on the people who believe the official explanation. Even though they all just heard someone else's theory and blindly accepted it, rather than actually figuring anything out for themselves. KNM certainly does know how to manipulate people, I'll give him that.

But really, in the end, if this really was Ryukishi's intention...what exactly is the reward for beating the game on 'hard mode', so to speak?

The official explanation gives almost every scene in the game a new meaning, and provides an answer that is psychologically fascinating, meaningful and, I would say, beautiful.

What does KNM's explanation do in comparison to that? All he does is turn an incredibly unique and imaginative work into 'just another murder mystery'. He's got a solution that makes some logical sense, at the cost of any actual meaning that the story might have had.

If you prioritise finding a 'logical' solution over anything else, you're following in the footsteps of Bern and Erika, the characters who are consistently portrayed negatively throughout the series. Heck, KNM's justification for using "fake death drugs" all over the place is simply that Erika mentioned it once. When one reads the series with KNM's explanation in mind, does it really make the story any better, or any more meaningful? I don't think it does. Huge parts of the game become completely meaningless, like most of the 1998 sections and the vast majority of EP7-8, while single obscure lines are blown out of proportion to become incredibly significant, such as the thing about Nanjo's grandchild that KNM somehow manages to expand into a motive to help with a mass murder.

I just don't understand how anyone could read Umineko and come to the conclusion that Ryukishi wanted us to become intellectual rapists in this way. It seems to me that for all the time KNM has obviously spent on Umineko, he still doesn't really understand it at all.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote