View Single Post
Old 2008-04-28, 22:20   Link #66
4Tran

Tak, you have to realize that of Harmony Gold's continuance of the Robotech story effectively makes it a very different animal from the Macross universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
All the buzz surrounding 'Robotech' seems to indicate it will be based on the first 36 episodes of Macross. Although I personally don't see how it could be made any other way, except, perhaps, a few references here and there to the other shows. Still, we shall cross our fingers and wait.
I would assume so as well since none of the other stories seem particularly suited for a theatrical release. Moreover, the initial press release seems to suggest that Warner Brothers is trying to create the first segment of a multiple movie franchise; and that would apply better to Macross (at least in the beginning) moreso than the others.

Quote:
Although I am uncertain how the rights is transferred to Warner Bros, it is essentially just as baseless as HG's claim to it. That is, despite Warner Bros' potential in funding a prolonged lawsuit. The Japanese studios aren't exactly small fries, either.
While the Japanese studios aren't necessarily small fries in general, I think that Studio Nue and Big West are tiny compared to a massive entity like Warner Brothers. If they could bring Bandai into the picture, then things change.

As to the basis of the movie license, it's largely due to what kind of rights were granted to Harmony Gold to begin with. My understanding is that it was a sweeping set of rights, and that they were given free reign to create other media based on it - hence the Sentinels, the Robotech Battlecry game, and the Shadow Chronicles. If that's the case, there's no reason they wouldn't be able to pass the movie rights to Warner Brothers. As such, it's not a baseless claim at all - it's merely one that is now considered overly generous, but it may well have been originally negotiated in good faith.

Quote:
There isn't a law suit because none has been initiated. With BW and TATSU finally settling their differences only recently, they still need to cooperate with BANDAI (the source of all related merchandise), who is blocking any attempt for Japanese exporters from communicating with HG regarding exporting MACROSS-related goods to the states. HG, even now, is demanding royalties for Macross goods being sold in the US. Contrary to popular belief, HG is STILL sending cease-and-decease letters.
Are they still doing that? Do you have any links to that effect?

Quote:
You know, in just about every single one of my posts in this thread, I have pretty much indicated that my primary problem with HG is the fact that they are holding onto the Macross license and barring any related materials from coming in.
That seems to be true only to a degree; the problems with Do You Remember Love and Macross 7 have been rumored to be more due to a high asking price than any legal wrangling.