View Single Post
Old 2011-04-27, 11:51   Link #465
Bri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wish we had MORE college setting series of any kind... drama or comedy. Or more workplace settings (REC, Working!, Hataraki Man, etc)
High school are the anime equivalent of death and taxes. No escapse, not even the show is set in the past, the present or the future...and if Angel Beats is any indication, you're not even safe in the afterlife.

Jokes aside, Noitamina and anime movies with cinematic ambitions show it can be done. I guess it's a matter of convincing the sponsors that there is a market for anime outside of the usual high school setting (not counting shonen adventures). Kodokawa does have a number of Seinen and Josei manga in their portfolio so it could happen at some point for Kyoani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post
But pre-2000, most characters were adults
It's true but that was a different era where TV-ratings still mattered, so anime had to apeal to a wider audience. Besides I don't really have an issue with high school aged characters, it's the dominance of the school setting that is so constricting for creativity. Fortunately this season already has a few good alternatives like Stein's Gate and Tiger and Bunny.