View Single Post
Old 2011-05-19, 14:29   Link #480
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCP View Post
Considering that the cash prizes are outlined right on the awards homepage, I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they aren't giving them out. They did so last year, and there's no reason to think anything has changed.
ANN said they didn't hand out any prizes initially and then added a correction later. I caught the original version of the article.

Quote:
Also, it's not like the idea of a contest not handing out a Grand Prize award is unheard of. As you can see, it isn't exactly uncommon for contests like these to withhold their awards if there isn't any applicable work. Simply put, they are not gonna give out an award if they don't feel any of the entries are deserving. Out of the eighty or so times the Tezuka Award has been given out, it has only awarded its Grand Prize fourteen times. Similarly, the Akatsuki Award hasn't had a Grand Prize winner in over twenty years. Where's the fanfare and ridicule about that?
Never heard of any of those awards aside from the Tezuka Award and not sure what they have to do with this topic either. To bring them up here and make statements about them would be decidedly off-topic. This information certainly is enlightening as to how Japan handles these contests though.

Quote:
It's also a stretch to say that it has "failed to amount to anything" considering that they have given out over 18.5k USD in cash prizes and are in the process of publishing one of the winning entries. Personally I think its good that Kyoani is doing something to find and cultivate new talent. I mean, I don't see any other studios holding similar contests. Then again, there aren't exactly many studios out there with the financial stability to be giving away thousands of dollars in cash prizes every year.
I don't think your average studio is struggling as much as Kyoani to internally create an original work either though. The way I see it this contest is kind of a necessity/publicity thing for getting the ball rolling on that front. So far it hasn't resulted in much of anything though as I said. Hence the criticism.

Quote:
They have given out awards. What they haven't given out is their Grand Prize. I don't really understand why ANN decided to translate "奨励賞" as "honorable mention". It would be more accurate to call it "encouragement award" or simply "award".
Don't know either, maybe you should tell them how it should be translated I guess. The original article stated that no awards were given though so that's what I reported. As I said the correction came after.