Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2012-09-17, 02:34   Link #23728
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Someone didn't like what I had to say about Tibet. I reread some of the things I wrote, and I can see how someone might misunderstand some things that I wrote. I said something about the Tibetans wanted their 'land' back but I know it wasn't something so simple as something like China invading the region. I know it involved a lot of political elements and that Communist China made an agreement with them that made their land an autonomous region and sometime in the 1950s there was a rebellion and the U.S. decided not to back them (they did to a minor degree, but they decided not to give them any good backing). The rebellion only made matters worse, but over the years, China has been pretty hard on a lot of Tibetans. The "they want their land back" statement was in regards to many who fled the lands due to oppression who'd like to return to the lands of their people. The statement about "they want those who were killed to be back"; I know the Chinese haven't been wiping a lot of them out or anything, but you have things like some times when monks are tortured and sometimes die from it. I know you have some Tibetans being militant over the years, but I wasn't really talking about the rebels. Tibetan people who fled the region are trying to preserve their culture and do worry about it being preserved in the long run. Maybe what I said wasn't spot on and some things were misleading, but the Chinese government has been pretty hard on a lot of Tibetans over the years and a lot of them are experiencing oppression. I mean, you don't have a very large amount of them fleeing the country over the decades for nothing.

Last edited by Urzu 7; 2012-09-17 at 04:26.