Thread: Licensed Saki manga
View Single Post
Old 2013-03-06, 03:17   Link #3076
cedec0

Quote:
P.S. Come to think of it. I never understand how did they got their hand on the chapter 6 days before the release date.
So I might not have to wait until March 12 to know what happens next? Cool

;--------------------------------

While we wait, why doesn't everyone post their predicted order in which the four schools in semi-final will finish (first place, second place, etc...). Also a short (or long in my case) explanation why.

I will go first:

1st place = Achiga
2cd place = Senriyama
3rd place = Shindouji
4th place = Shiraitodai

Reasoning:

1) Achiga will reach the finals. There are tons of reasons for this: they are the main characters of the side story, the way the last chapter ended with Shizu about to kick some ass, etc... (read my previous posts for more reasons).

2) Shindouji can't be allowed (for plot reasons) to reach the finals because:

A) It would undermine the epic Saki VS Teru showdown that will happen in the individuals.

Consider what happened in the vanguard round of the semi-finals. All three players worked together to stop Teru, and two of them went so far as doing "heroic sacrifices" (Toki overusing her powers until she ended up in the hospital and Kuro discarding a dora). Despite all this, Teru still managed to rack up over 90,000 points, and she did this without showing all of her abilities.

So the stage for the Saki VS Teru showdown has now been perfectly set in the semi-finals, and having Teru participate in the finals would undermine this. First, Teru would undoubtedly go all-out in the finals, revealing all of her yet-unseen abilities, removing the aura of mystery surounding her right now. Second, (unless she send TWO opponents to the hospital) there is no way that Teru can top her performance in the semi-finals, and so her performance would be weaker in the finals (by comparison) making her seem like less of a monster. For these two reasons having Teru reach the finals would undermine the epic fight Saki VS Teru showdown, which is why it is unlikely to happen.

B) Shindouji reaching the finals would mean Kuro (and Yuuki) losing horribly in the vanguard round, which would be problematic.

Both Kuro and yuuki are weaker than Saki and would be crushed by Teru in the finals. This is problematic becuase Kuro has now sufferred two horrible loses in a row (in the quarter finals and semi-finals), and having it happan three times in a row would be too much (it would be boring and pathetic). Meanwhile, Yuuki lost in the quarter-finals, and (with the way things are going ) she is also going to reach the finals with two straight loses. Since the stage for the Saki VS Teru showdown has already been set by the semi-finals, Teru's massacre of Kuro and Yuuki in finals would be painful, repetitive, and serve no purpose.

C) Saki meanting Teru in the finals would akward (and be bad writing).

Saki has made a big deal of avoiding meeting Teru because she wants talk to her sister "through mahjong". If Shindouji reaches the finals, Saki/Teru meeting would be unavoidable, and this would mean a huge distract from the finals with no possible resolution (Teru and Saki wouldn't be playing Mahjong against each other).

D) The performance of Shindouji's players

With the exception of Teru, shindouji's players have had disapointing results in the semi-finals (they lost the 90,000 points that Teru gained). If Senriyama was going to make the finals, the performance of ALL of shindouji's players would have been more impressive (to keep anticipation up). For comparison, look at Senriyama performance in the quarter-finals: that is how a team that is going to next round looks like.

In a series that is as well-writen as Saki/Achiga-hen, I can't believe that a team that was as poorly showcased as Senriyama would make it to the finals. It would be extremely poor writing.

3) About Senriyama second place finish.

Senriyama is the second ranked school. They were showcased as a powerful opponent in the quarter-finals (where they crushed Achiga). Also, Ryuuka has the ability least likely to be cancelled by Shizuno (it is a brand new ability and it is impossible to know when she is going to use it). In my opinion, they are the most likely to be the second team to make it to the finals. (for more reasons why Senriyama is morely than Shiraitodai to make the finals, read my previous posts).

4) Why I put Shiraitodai in last place

If Shiraitodaiis going to lose (not make it to the finals) then they are probably going to lose spectacularly. That is my feeling

It is fun to make predictions. So how does everyone else think?

Last edited by cedec0; 2013-03-06 at 12:10.
cedec0 is offline   Reply With Quote