View Single Post
Old 2010-12-12, 13:59   Link #1269
Elo the Blue
Mama there goes that man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
@wingzerosnuggles: Airheaded was maybe a bit harsh. I just meant she appears to be a more or less stereotypical popular blonde (brown-ish) high school student at the beginning of the show. She's loved- pretty much idolized by the student body, she's rich, she doesn't appear to be the deepest of wells. That turns out to be not the case, but you wouldn't know it looking at her, her life and her surroundings (despite being brought up by a diplomat. But that doesn't mean much, being the kid of a doctor doesn't make you a surgeon, at least nhttp://forums.animesuki.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3388175ot without proper training).

Well she is not a Mary Sue, but she is constantly portrayed like one in the show. If you look at her, she is flawed, and a potentially awesome character.
But the show chooses to paint her in a light that I didn't find accurate for her character. Like I mentioned before, her being supposedly the perfect solution while everyone else is "tainted" in some way. Giving her a classical Sue frame didn't help. She isn't one, so why did they insist on treating her basically like one? :s

I also agree with the Fllay comparison. I remember when seeing Seed the first time, I thought "THIS is the light in which Relena should've been characterized on GW"- still going down the political route and all, just minus the silly idolization.
If I try to view her like that, she gets massive plus points, because she IS a good character, she just suffered from bad characterization
But Relena wasn't the perfect solution in the show though. For all the peace overtures she made after resurrecting Sanc and becoming Queen of the world and the great number of support she gained during that time, ultimately, there was absolutely nothing she could when the White Fang began their revolution. If anyone was a "solution", I'd say it was three-way tie between Treize, Zechs and Heero. Not to say Relena's previous actions were in vain, just her impact had a cap.

Everyone in GW was flawed and Relena certainly was too; even with her immense growth during the show.

Her friends idolized her and various people she met during the show certainly admired her for her passionate beliefs and. Her calls for peace during her time as Queen were bound to be accepted by the public and her charisma and eloquence didn't hurt either. Still, I don't think there was much idolization going on.