View Single Post
Old 2007-12-25, 07:19   Link #85
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's daft. You don't need an embargo to make people use a new form of energy when the old one is becoming progressively more expensive. Or was that bit about the world running out of oil a lie? Did they still have loads of it and decide to forcefully switch to solar energy? How does that make sense?

Besides, it's not like energy production is the only thing we use oil for.
Does it even have to do with the utmost truth of the matter, though? If there is a much more efficient and reliable energy resource to control rather than the fluctuating and volatile oil markets that come from hostile land-grabs, the UN would have the political will and ability to shift the market forcefully. I doubt they'd sit around and let the Middle East and the rest of the contested oil nations push the UN around and risk a World War when they have the power to nick it off from the bud. It really won't matter if the oil has 'dried off' or not when it is such an inferior and contested energy resource.

Though on the record, I do believe the idea of a drying out oil resource makes sense 300 years from now.

I think beyond the energy uses, the solar power just makes sense in terms of stabilization, which seems to be the UN objective in the 00 world.

As for the embargo, I think that is precisely the reason why they'd allow alternative uses for oil in that sense. It's just that it won't control the world as they have.

Last edited by SuperKnuckles; 2007-12-25 at 07:32.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote