View Single Post
Old 2010-12-02, 06:30   Link #220
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Late reply but anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Beaver View Post
Looking on the comments, I have a theory on how I perceive Kirino. First, I kinda agree with your theory here, although not as severe. That is, rather than being a model student who happens to be an anime/imoutoge fan as well, she's primarily a fan with a model student cover. The main reason is well, she knows if she admits as an otaku she'll be looked down upon, and what's more the job etc helps her buys the lifestyle and get parents off her back to avoid suspicion. She drops her jerkass behavior because she knows that that's not how a model student should act. Maybe she does like studying/work/athletic stuff too so the cover isn't a complete lie, but it's still hiding something as it's nowhere near the passion she has for her hobbies.

Now that we know that it's mostly a cover, I think it's clear that behind that Kirino is selfish and emotionally blunted. Sure, maybe there's even more dere hidden behind that as well (like how she says bad things toward Kuroneko but still keep her as friend, for example), but like Meo said here there's some other things that makes her plain selfish and emotionally blunted even without the dere coming into play.

And thus, with the emotional bluntness and lack of admonishment, maybe the reason her 'tsun' goes overboard sometimes is because she doesn't realize just how much it'd hurt other people, seeing as she rarely suffers the same thing. She knows it's bad, of course, but she doesn't know how bad it is or that in her mind, the other person deserves it anyway.

Spoiler for Long Reply Incoming:
People think they have it all under control, but when the facade breaks and the masquerade is exposed, then what? That was more or less what the first episode was, and most of everything that followed stems from her relative inability to deal with this fact that you can't hide something people deem undesirable under layers and layers of socially acceptable behavior. It takes years to build up a reputation, but one wrong move to bring it all down.

The fear of intimacy might be a cliched plot device you've seen everywhere, but it's used because it's real, and far more common than people realize. I suspect it's one of the major reasons why she's become who she is. She's afraid of intimacy because she's afraid of what people would think of her if they learn about what her secret hobby is. Every time someone came close to or discovered it she withdrew into a shell which forced Kyousuke to taunt karma and take the bullet. The next irony is that Kyousuke, pretty much the only person who accepted her without making excuses, is the person she treats like crap. Hell she treats Kuroneko and Saori like crap too, in a lesser extent because they share the hobby, while Kyousuke doesn't. In the same way she was likely emotionally blunted, she probably lived her life completely guarded and cautious of people finding out, such that because of this she really doesn't know how to deal with people who don't care what she likes. With Kyousuke deciding to just accept her for what she is, she really doesn't know how to deal with it, and simply deals with it in the usual snarky and distant sort of way.

And she pretty much came buckets when she finally got Rinko's sex scene. Hell she might have actually been sad when she got the bad/normal ending where the pair split. That should be good indicators that she also prefers the ultra Tsun approach.

The above 2 paragraph made me realize something that has been bothering me for a while: Why does she need to get him to play galge and eroge, and generally otaku activity, anyway? Considering that his job description as her life coach has him helping her out with real issues, being her proxy in things she can't be in person and taking the proverbial bullet when she needs a human shield. Add in the fact that he's chosen to accept her hobby in the first place. He really doesn't need to get pulled into the entire otaku culture he himself finds bothersome to really help her, yet she insists. Why? Occam's Razor says, at least by my application, is that she's getting him into it as perhaps her indirect way of bridging the gap. Considering how she immediately made a strong (if somewhat abusive) bond with Kuroneko and Saori, there's a likelihood that she's using it as a vehicle to do something from her end of the Tsun line. Maybe she's not completely conscious of it, but she was completely ecstatic when she actually managed to share this hobby with someone, that someone being her brother. I wouldn't be surprised if that was her motive all along under the pretense of life counseling.