View Single Post
Old 2013-02-05, 06:44   Link #4
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyth View Post
Some topics--in this case I'm talking about JoJo's Bizarre Adventure--have developed a culture of casually spoiling the manga, and you moderators seem to think that's OK, because nothing is being done about it.

I stopped reading the thread after I issued warnings and participants continued with their habits. I suspect they didn't receive proper punishment. Five minutes ago, after a long time, I decide to check out the thread again because I was excited about the anime's sales success, and yet again, I find a casual manga spoiler (I believe those are completely forbidden in anime topics).

I'm not even gonna bother reporting all the offenders, because I'm probably going to catch another spoiler and regret it. This is a complete failure of the moderator team. I expected the thread to have a lot more replies than it has, but I'm not at all surprised anymore, because this kind of spoiler culture is driving away potential discussion participants, including myself.
"Casual" spoilers aren't meant to be an acceptable culture, and we do agree that regardless how "minimal" it can be (be it even the revelation of a character name, despite it may not have any real impact, story wise), it should be forbidden.
That being said, I'm not going to state these were "natural" occurence, but I must say that we just can't be everywhere at the same time, and spoiler reports aren't as numerous as the occurences we could witness.
This is even more true for some series that none of us is actually checking (as in, it would be hard for us in the first place to figure out if X or Y mention is a spoiler or not).

As for Jojo's thread, I'm probably the only mod watching the series and I basically stopped checking it a little before Battle Tendency, so I didn't see the expectations turning into a spoiler discussion being that casual. But considering how the discussion with manga readers flew that much for quite a while, I assume it is best to create a "anime only" thread in order not to impair that much everything that has been discussed so far. That's the best compromise I can think of.

In a nutshell: we were never fine with this kind of forum habit that some people might have with few other members about specific series, so the lack of intervention is primarily because we are just not aware it is occuring.
Therefore, should anything of that kind happen, it would be best to make a report, however early it might be.