View Single Post
Old 2013-01-24, 20:55   Link #200
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I've been thinking a bit, and I have to say that modern western media does a very poor job of representing what mental illness is really like. Either the mentally ill person is a raving murdering lunatic, or is a melodramatic teenager cutting themselves and threatening their parents with suicide. The same goes for Movies, TV and video games. For example, I've never seen a mainstream game where characters spend a substantial amount of time a realistic depiction of depression.

However, I find Anime and Manga to have much more nuanced depictions of mental illness (along with a fair number of crazed lunatics). For instance, going on with the video game example, the video games Persona 3 and 4 has many fairly grounded realistic depictions of mental illness and depression (and also crazed lunatics ).

Furthermore, I think western culture isn't very accepting of mental illness, while Otaku culture is a bit more tolerant and empathetic of psychological "deviancy".

I find Anime, Manga and certain Japanese video games have helped me when I've been feeling low in a way that western stuff never does, as I feel a certain sense of empathy there "I'm not the only person who's depressed, these people also get depressed, maybe I'm not so weird! And look this guy is able to deal with and help save the world!"

Thoughts anyone?
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote