View Single Post
Old 2014-02-05, 15:48   Link #1143
siGil

haha solid fan spotted!

i blitzed through 10 eps of Log Horizon last night, i have to say there are fundamental differences between the two shows

SAO is about the survival of an elitist player who later learned to care for others, it's the story of one boy who found love and gives everything to protect it (if i had found an asuna of my own, i doubt i'd do any different).

Log Horizon so far is about an elite team player who wants to do good for others, then it spreads out to wanting to change the world (i could be wrong, since im only 10 eps in. but that's pretty much what it feels like)

there is a huge difference between the expectations of these two shows in terms of knowledge of audience in MMOs. Log Horizon takes time to explain every basic element of the concept, so it would appear the target audience is of virtually no experience. it utilizes concepts of quests, quest rewards, purchasing of land etc (btw there would be no game where a player can buy the land around the bank, ever).

on the other hand SAO is targeting the more experienced MMO players. concepts like unique skill, dungeon traps, crafting ingredients and game mechanics are only really understood once you've tried them. the mentality behind beta player, solo player and blue/oj/red guilds can only be fully interpreted if you have been immersed in an MMO world before. in the novel SAO briefly explains basic elements of MMO, but it was pretty much neglected in the anime

if i had to put it, SAO emphasizes on the mentality of a lonely player and Log Horizon is trying to show us one who is trying to change the world. in two different worlds. it really depends on your own experience which one you would relate to more (but so far i still like SAO better i think XD)
siGil is offline   Reply With Quote