View Single Post
Old 2012-04-21, 23:25   Link #107
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
And bloody fantasies of militaristic romantics do?

It's easy to criticize his way, but the fact is that none of the characters have been shown to be able to provide a viable alternative. Saber's way, in particular, has already been shown to fail miserably, which is the whole reason she's partaking in the war in the first place.

And I don't think you quite grasp how much Kiritsugu truly means it when he says he wants to save the world. Not everything he says is true, as his glare at Saber proved, but if you believe he's out there, doing the things he does, merely to stroke his own ego, you've definitely misunderstood his character, in my view. Though I suppose this sort of discussion is best left for later on in the series.
Indeed it is, as that sounds pretty close to a spoiler. But to address the point: as I said, merely saying the other players are wrong doesn't make Kiritsugu right. That's why I say Urobuchi is asking tough questions and not providing answers.

Kiritsugu is, in his way, doing what he thinks is right. The problem is, he's going strictly by his own code to make that decision - that's where the ego is. The fundamental structure of Kiritsugu's argument is built around the notion that he's right and doesn't need to entertain any other possibility.

Someone thinking he's right won't reassure anyone who knows their history - just the opposite. Relativism is an all-in bet - you either accept that it's an acceptable philosophy or you don't. I don't. Mind you, absolutism (which is close to what Saber practices) doesn't have a very good historical track record, either.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote