View Single Post
Old 2007-04-30, 12:21   Link #82
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I think many people keep forgetting that the series is based on source material that has at least 3 volumes to work with. A new director might change a bit of style or emphasis... but unless they deviate from the source material substantially -- the director's main job is just to organize, adapt, and reflect the 4-koma events. KyoAni has shown very little history of "taking stories in new directions (blahblahblah)". The series was almost certainly storyboarded from start to finish but given its "comedy sketch" format - it'd be easy enough for them to move modules around or drop/add a few pieces based on what appeals.

Things to watch for: gag sketch transitions and if they change... how the "original content" Lucky Channel evolves... we should expect the focus of the story gags to shift a bit simply because we should start seeing the teacher, policeofficer, and Kona-dad gags start to appear in a few episodes.

I keep comparing the structural and thematic format of this show to the old Peanuts classics (which were also stitched together sketches of the comic material to a large extent).