View Single Post
Old 2011-06-25, 17:39   Link #1058
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
What part of the show wasn't understandable? I seem to remember people stating the show is too simplistic, but they all understood the underlying contrast between present and future. I'm just saying the ideas are rather direct and straightforward; if you don't understand them, then you'll have to elaborate further as to which parts you don't comprehend.
I'm not talking about the mechanics of economy. But what does it mean to prefer the future to the present, in the context of this show?

Quote:
I'd say there were tons and tons of consequences in episode 10. You know, people disappearing, countries disappearing, three babies born in one week. The usual side effects of printing black money to save the present.

Even Kimimaro's actions have consequences. In the final scene when he sits on a park bench and looks around, he sees the effect of his own existence reflected in the futures of Japanese people. You can complain about a cop-out, saccharine ending all you want, but a lot of anime do exactly that. I think you're putting down the show without even giving the story a fighting chance.
But the consequences aren't particularly believable, and don't reflect the "ethics" of the characters. The former is always a danger in a magic heavy show, but what we have is a relative newcomer buying back a country's worth of "future". The latter one is more important: Mikuni's action didn't save the present at all. And while I suppose Kimimaro's action did save the future, it did so by buying back a brand new present.

It ended up not being a fight of (believable) ethics. It was a fight between a nihilistic villain bent on world country destruction, even if he covered it up with some saintly words, and a messiah who dies for our sins.

Quote:
Really? Because cute high school girls make watching anime less painful for you? Kind of makes me wonder why you even decided to watch this show to the very end.
Well, yes, I'll forgive a slice of life show featuring cute girls for being a slice of life show featuring cute girls. C wasn't that, so I hold it to different standards.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote