View Single Post
Old 2012-01-31, 23:51   Link #63
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Let me give a concrete example: The recent show Penguindrum had a large amount of symbolism. Including repeated motifs in different episodes. This symbolism would then be discussed in each episode thread.

Around episode 19 or so, I realized that earlier symbolism was getting lost because it was discussed in a previous episode thread. So I requested a new thread dedicated to discussing symbolism, along with an opening about the apple symbolism. No response.

I also requested a thread dedicated to discussing how Penguindrum was a response to Aum, since it had become clear that it explicitly was. I suggested as an opening several quotes by anime directors discussing how Evangelion was a response to Aum, and how Aum had shattered the Otaku mindest, followed by some thoughts about how Penguindrum differed in it's response.

No response.
I think I already addressed this when you brought this up last time. "No response" doesn't mean no. It more likely means that the requests were missed for some reason. You could have helped us out at the time by gently reminding us of the request or posting more/better explanations to help show the value of the threads. Your bringing this up as a supporting argument may point to a flaw of the requesting mechanism (since requests can get forgotten inadvertantly), or if they had been clearly rejected may support a case that the criteria are too strict. But I don't think the fact that you didn't receive a reply to your request translates into allowing free/open topic creation. Besides, the context of this thread is older series, not series that are currently airing, so even the fix proposed in this thread wouldn't have addressed the problem you experienced.

So, I regret that I and the other mods didn't catch your thread requests on-time to give you a good response. But I think the real issue there is a procedural oversight, not an unwillingness to accept creative thread requests that fall outside the norm.

Edit: Solace already posted while I wrote this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Which by the way is another one of the sore points among the community. What is the criteria used to decide which shows get sub forums anyway?

[...]

Of course I could very well be wrong, but whenever we ask what the criteria is the response is simply that the moderators do have a set objective criteria and that series are evaluated on it.

I believe you, but I find it confusing that you won't let us know what it is.
Actually, we do have a publicly-posted explanation of our criteria, available in our FAQs. Granted that it does still involve some subjectivity (and we're not revealing some sort of "secret sauce"), but we've done our best to provide an explanation of many of the factors we consider.