View Single Post
Old 2009-12-03, 19:58   Link #4312
Metaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
I don't think Ange used "magic". She calls it "real magic" that's probably a way to say that what she does is not a trick nor an illusion but a concrete thing. Probably in this case Ange's real magic simply means that she has found a real Sakutaro in fabric and cotton.

And the "real magic" she "summoned" when she killed Kasumi and her thugs was probably Juuza.
Umm... that's what I was trying to say, but I guess I couldn't express myself very well. ^^'
What I meant by "magic" or "miracle" is that any event which is extremely unlikely to happen can be considered "magic" or a "miracle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
I actually agree with that, but I don't think it's the whole picture. Magic in this game operates heavily on belief and interpretation, so I think when magic is referred to in red, it really means the process that appears as magic in the game.

That is, the red text is guaranteed fact, but some words such as "magic" are actually "code words" for something else.
Exactly. This means that if the concept of magic in Umineko is influenced by belief, then so is the red truth. After all, it's a fantasy element introduced by Beato, a witch. So in order to trust the red, you would also have to accept at least part of the fantasy elements in the story. In other words, you would have to believe in magic in order to believe the red.

Basically, it would be the same as if a random person came up to you and said "your parents are dead". Would you believe in that person? If you did, would you attempt to guarantee this fact by contacting your parents, be it by phone, mail, or any other method? More importantly, why would believe that person?
Metaler is offline   Reply With Quote