View Single Post
Old 2008-12-27, 21:51   Link #179
Frostfire
No Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogitsune View Post
Uhm... no.
I said I would give them the same "free pass".
But maybe I should have asked you how you define "free pass" first. What I basically meant is that I don't see any need for punishment where it wouldn't do any good.
How would it not do good here? One person commited a vile crime, or acted on a vilinous desire to commit Genocide, the result of her actions are the deaths of countless innocent people. You can't compare her to others, because others have not done commited the crime. You cannot just take away the crime and treat everyone equally, different crimes call for different measures of discipline.

If you give her a free pass, then you have to give everyone a free pass. You cannot excuse her by the idea that "she learned her lesson". You don't know if she did. You'd also have to give everyone else who "learned their lesson" a free pass, but how can you fairly judge such an abstract concept.

Quote:
If you let the victim's family judge the murderer, it's not justice but revenge.
Or at least, that's how I see it.
You let the system judge her, but by any realistic system that isn't biased against a side, would convict her to the same as the families.

Quote:
"Meh, ok"?
I'm only saying that if one wants to punish Nina for the Fleya incident, they would need to do it before it actually happened - because after that, Nina realized that she had done something horrible, and she probably couldn't have felt any worse about it.
In my opinion, punishing her simply wouldn't have served any purpose.
I does not matter what she realized, she still commited the act. If I murder someone, only to then realize how wrong I was, would you give me a fair pass? I understand that this is a real world example but it is appropriate in this context... and now that I look at it, I really was in the wrong for what I said to someone else.

Quote:
Not quite.
I think that the philosophy of Code Geass is that everyone is striving for happiness - that all people are grey and that, given the right circumstances, they might change completely... be it for the better or the worse.
After that, they might be better off dead, need someone to give them a push in the right direction, or a "free pass" - depending on what they have become and why (and how likely it is that it will be permanent).
That is a poor philosophy because people don't just "turn a new leaf of goodness". Viletta never changed through Code Geass, she was and ended, as being a coniving schemer who ruined two peoples lives for her own self fulfillment. She did not change, and she is an example of a person who did not deserve what they were given.

Nina is more arguable, but she still deserves punishment for her actions. They cannot, or more should not, just be forgiven. That opens up a pandora's box for the world of law. And in reality, she did not learn anything. She never showed that she got past her hatred for the Japanese. She never showed that she moved past her fixation on the dead.
Frostfire is offline   Reply With Quote