View Single Post
Old 2012-08-01, 07:39   Link #53
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
^ you're forgetting the important fact that this is a prequel to the F/S N visual novel (Yes the VN not the anime).

Kotomine's development is not relegated solely to F/Z, it was basically in F/S N and F/Z is more his how his descent to darkness took place.
This is something important to know, which I didn't. I'd argue that a series needs to stand on its own, and not rely so much on extra stuff to explain and develop its characters (Nanoha had something of a similar problem), but I can understand having extra materials scattered around. I was a bit put off by those 3 special eps that tried to explain the grail's creation and the families, too, which seemed clunky and a bit lacking in sense.

@Archonwing: And again, my comment isn't so much toward Koto, as it is toward Toki. As I said before, I already kinda get Koto after watching the full series. It was just that I found Toki's comment at the start rather strange. Especially given that the wife or marriage is never mentioned again. I won't go further into this, though, in order to end this thread divergence and let it get back to the normal discussion.

And to be clear, this was only a nitpick, and F/Z had so little wrong with it, that it doesn't trigger my "fatally flawed" line. Unlike a few other series I've seen. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Well, that is a matter of what degree the tragedy is reaching. Your example would be an extreme one and for the most part while possible is hardly plausible. If no effort is to explain why (Perhaps the person is mentally ill, or somehow has some plan to carry out), then yes it would be a bad idea. But in a vacuum, said character would be so detatched from reality that it's not worth considering.

Many anime about war often illustrate this problem. UC Gundam is a story of such-- many preventable conflicts that are made worse by those too stubborn to let go of ideology, and those that are too devoted to the manipulative. Many decent and resourceful people were lost simply due to the worse parts of human nature. The same minds that create such advanced technology are also the same ones that use it to senselessly kill each other out of some foolish conflict. Char Aznable is one example of a tragic character that could have avoided much of the trouble, but trauma and the events that ensued, as well as frustrations with progress let to a rather tragic fate.
I see what you're getting at, but my comment isn't so geared at those with ideology problems that prevent their actions; it's more stupidity. Times when there is no ideology present, and the character repeatedly doesn't do the obvious thing that they have no compunction against doing... they just don't do it for unexplained, or poorly explained, reasons. Like watching a house catch fire, and you have a hose hooked up to water right there, which they look at several times, and instead settle for sitting there going, "What do I do? There has to be some way to put out this fire; oh woe is my life!" Even worse when they set that fire themselves, heh.

Edit: I suppose the best analogy I can draw, is the Darwin Award winners. We don't see their suffering or their deaths as tragic. Instead, at best we just shake our head, and at worst, we laugh. All because they do things that they should have the good sense not to do.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2012-08-01 at 08:14.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote