View Single Post
Old 2006-01-12, 15:42   Link #76
Tremalkinger
Hai, Nao-oneesama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggieMay
Well I've not seen this show but after reading the thread I think I can understand where Mr. Paper is coming from. It sounds to me like Mr Paper just doesn't buy into the plot twist and sees the situation as one where the lead female is using the lead male (who's now a female) and the lead male/female is accepting it because they don't mind being walked over as long as the person they are in love with loves them back.
That's not how the series is at all, but I can see how you'd take those impressions away from the comments thus far in the series. So far from what I've read in this thread, people have a VERY twisted view of Yasuna. I'd encourage you to read the manga and draw your own conclusions about her.

Quote:
BTW, this plot twist sounds to me like the manga writer used a very odd and convulted excuse to justify their lead females lesbianism. Why the manga writer felt they needed to justify it at all seems to make me wonder if the writer realized the fuitility of a hetrosexual male winning over a lesbian female and worked up this idea as a way to get around reality issues that were getting in the way of their Yuri sexual fantasies
Yasuna claims in the show that she's incapable of seeing male's faces, yes. But it's fairly clear that this isn't supposed to be taken literally. The only real evidence we have is (a) her claims and (b) the drawing she made with blank male faces. But It's staggeringly impropable for someone actually being incapable of seeing the features of one gender compared to another.

If Yasuna's 'afflictment' was used as justification for her being a lesbian, I'd heartily agree at it being both unnecessary and silly. But honestly, I enjoyed her explanation in its own right as a facet to her character.

Honestly, the series would work fine if all three people were girls to start with. In fact, Tomari is more masculine than Hasumu could ever hope to be. The only real lasting effect that Hasumu's old gender has on the series is Tomari's angst over her own love, and whether its okay for her feelings to continue.

Quote:
Anyway, at this point I'm not sure I want to check this show out or not. However, I may keep reading up on it to see how it progresses and check on the show later if it seems to be progressing well (and at least it doesn't sound like a totally uninteresting plot).
It sounds like Kashimashi is outside your domain of interest, but you never know. If you come back and enjoy it, yay! It's nicer to wait for a couple episodes to be out anyhow. I seriously doubt this series will ever get licenced, so no worries about it dissapearing from the archives. And I know I'll be sharing it for months.
Tremalkinger is offline   Reply With Quote