View Single Post
Old 2009-12-13, 03:51   Link #1726
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Stating that your flawed but acting pretentiously at all times does not make you a GOOD character. It makes you a character who is trying so hard to mask it's mary sueness yet still being a mary sue. As the saying goes, a wolf in sheeps clothing is still a fucking damn wolf. Although there's some add embellishment, Medaka really doesn't act like a person who questions her own motives, not only is she supremely confident in herself, the reader is LEAD to believe that she is perfect although she states that she is not perfect. Again it's not about what is said it is all about what is actually shown. And there really aren't any real points in the manga of what I have read that really show any depth to Medaka's character.
I'll have to agree with Jetstorm that Medaka is a flawed character, however that doesn't make her a likeable character to me. All her flaws are personality flaws-- she's arrogant, a tyrant and she's a hypocrite (the latter of which she's joyfully agreed with). She has no common sense and despite saying that she lives to help others, she really just wants them to become what she THINKS is right (a perfect example is Kikaijima, who Medaka was going to forcefully reform until she found out the reasons behind the greed). I personally can't stand people who force their views on others, so if I met someone like Medaka in real life, I'd probably tell them to gtfo if she tried. Combine these issues with her "I love everyone and want to help them" attitude and her "modes" and she comes off as very fake.

That's one if my biggest issues with Medaka. All those massive personality flaws, yet everyone seems to love her, which is unrealistic. Also, between her personality, the fact that we never know what she's thinking, and her being completely abnormal, it's impossible to relate to her as she doesn't even feel human. I've barely seen anything resembling emotion from her (another flaw) and for someone who has so much focus on her, the fact that we can't relate to her is a turn off to many readers, myself included.

Physically, she's a Mary Sue, but there's quite a few of those in the manga (the 13 for example). That was fine when the manga was a regular school life manga, when it was used for comedy puposes and not to solve
everything, but now that's it dipped in battle territory, it hurts the character because it makes things boring.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-12-13 at 04:29.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote