View Single Post
Old 2009-12-13, 05:54   Link #1728
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Some one shots are never meant to be serialized in the first place.. they are true one shots... the one shot in WSJ he did with Takeshi Obata the artist of Hikaru no Go and Death Note could've been stopped either because of lack of interest or that Takeshi Obata was going to release Bakuman later that year and never intended to make it a serialized series.
True, but the rumours tell that Takeshi Obata did intend to get serialized with Nishio at that time, but he had a second, solo, idea if the project did not work.

I am not sure if the first manga was intended as one-shot or not, just that reviews it got were not particularly good.

Personally I think Nishio wanted to get serialized since the very beginning but his first two one-shots failed to attract the interest while Medaka Box did manage to do that, even if it later changed the genre that got it serialized quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetstorm View Post
Medaka Box can not be compared to Hatsukoi Limited. Hatsukoi ran at a time period where there were still a lot of Jump's old guard around (Neuro, ES21, TLR) that were all relatively successful(Not One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, and Gintama level) and left less room for new series to cushion it. DGM moving to Jump SQ also meant more space for other series to move in.
Can you read a whole post for Christs sake before you go pages of explaining and argue in the argument that was never there in the first case?

I am not comparing Medaka and Hatsukoi as manga, I am just using Hatsukoi as an example that 30 chapter is not necessarily a shounen 'infant' stage. Read a whole post, or is too much to ask for?

@Nosauz

One-shots are not bad, there are some great ones out there, its just that not all authors cannot generate original ideas that fast and if most of projects are one-shots, he has to generate ideas faster than serialized author does (who can take the breaks by extending the arcs f.e.) - and despite what one may thing, our imagination is not limitless in a sense that it gets hard to generate great original ideas all the time. Serialization in a way helps you to take a break.

Even Nishio, on novels front, did not look particularly inspiring with his latest novel series (that is often said to be his worse so far). It still did pretty good, but it is more because of his name really rather than the novel itself being great. In fact if this series would be his debut novels I suspect many would have shrugged him off as mediocre writer.

So yeah, the one-shots are not bad but they do put a stress on the author if he/she wants to be making original ideas.

Last edited by Darknemo2000; 2009-12-13 at 06:17.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote