View Single Post
Old 2009-12-13, 20:57   Link #1737
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
If the manga ends with ch 30 then there is no point of saying it is in infant state because it is over - it reached its full potential already. Basta, finish, kaput, finito. It cannot go only longer - its full growth is what it is.

I do not care if it was planned to grow for 100 or 5000000 chapters, if it ends with ch 30 thats it's 'adulthood' already.

So saying that for shounen 30 chapters is an infant stage is way too optimistic. Hatsukoi is not the only shounen who ended prematurely. And I do not care about potential or plans, I am talking about facts and facts show that 30 chapters is already a solid age.
Yet here we are passed chapter 30 and Medaka Box is still fighting. Not only that but whether you acknowledge it or not it still has other series doing worse than it. Funny that, almost like other examples I mentioned that are similar to it yet kept clawing their way out.

I'm aware some manga don't make it to several hundred chapter length. The point is that when you kill an infant it is still an infant at the time of death. You seem to not understand that manga ending at low chapter counts like 30 does not in anyway make them "complete" or at "adulthood". The potential wasn't reached because it was cut short. Meaning that potential was just unused.

If half of a story's plot lines aren't resolved because it was pushed to end early it sure as hell isn't complete nor reached its adulthood.

You can keep on screaming the sky is falling all you like but fact of the matter is it hasn't and it doesn't appear to be falling in recent chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amegashita View Post
It's obvious that the problem isn't Medaka, it's Zenkichi and the supporting cast. Medaka isn't the greatest character but there isn't a strong supporting cast to have the readers to feel comfortable. Not only that but we know quite a lot about Medaka not so much about the supporting class.
Finally, a legitimate criticism that isn't phrased in a way that makes it a wall banger. -____-

Agreed that we could know more about other characters and that they could do more but I believe that Nishio has gotten better with this post Unzen.

Since the start of the Flask Plan arc we have had Nabeshima saving Medaka and teaching her a good lesson, Maguro training her and also telling her not to neglect herself, Akune and Kikaijima came and said they are not going to be left out of this despite Medaka trying to do so.

Kikaijima's abilities helped Medaka figure out the way through the labyrinth and before that Akune had to wake Zenkichi up after he was panicking over the door of rejection.

Honestly, if things like this happen with higher frequency and we do get more of the cast stepping up it will be a good thing. Whether people love her or hate her, most agree that one character can not normally carry a story all by herself. While Medaka is indeed the focus there is still room for other characters to do more without taking anything away from her.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote