View Single Post
Old 2007-09-15, 22:19   Link #9993
Tk3997
Loveable Jerk

Send a message via ICQ to Tk3997 Send a message via AIM to Tk3997 Send a message via MSN to Tk3997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post

DBZ? I know some of us had been quite overbearing (( FlameSparkZ's demi-beings, Kha's versatility + harem power, Homunculus + Powerful Arsenal, etc )), but I don't think any of us ever crossed or intend to cross that line.
Not yet, but things can spiral out of control fast if you don't set some fairly firm limits.

Quote:
Speaking of which, I would like your opinion. If you were to create a huge, powerful, believable anti-fleet weapons system within Nanohaverse limits, how would you go about it? At this point, I'm thinking something akin to the Star Forge-ish parallel with its own fleets (( Star Wars )) but I would like your input, since regardless of which, size + power is what I intend to go for with for the final part of DestinyS.

If moon is too much, then fine. I'm not all that inflexible. What would you think would be appropriate then?

Edit : A picture is worth a thousand words.

Oh, @Tk, if you're wondering, this is Star Forge that I semi-intend to parallel. Of course, minus all that Star Wars negative-infinite-force thing, and replaced with simply magic.
I'm aware of what it was I am a Star Wars freak after all.

Though this is acutally a hard question since we know so little about Nanoha space combat…

For instance we have little idea about any of the follow so far as I know.
Prolusion:
The acceleration abilities of starships are largely unknown they can maintain and break orbits at will obviously, but that merely shows they have engines roughly equal to a decent torch drive (so probably at least 4 or 5 Gs of sustained long term thrust it’s probably more but how MUCH more?) Tying into this artificial gravity is in and probably inertial dampening, but to what degree can it counter forces on the ship can it stop any force, some of them, only a few G acceleration etc.

On the FTL side how long dose it take them to transit into dimensional space, can this be blocked, dose it work in gravity wells or other odd astronomical situations. Can it be used tactically? IE a shot hop to get behind the enemy or jump away from a bad situation, or is it to slow/limited by charge time for that to work, hell is it even possible to charge the drives with tactical systems active. Is combat in dimensional space itself possible, if so how easy is it to track enemy ships inside, etc etc.

Weapons systems:
We only ever see a ship fire one weapon main gun style weapon so far as I know. So we don’t even know if they have back up weapons let alone what type and this is a huge issue. If they have little or no point defense for instance a saturation strike of long range missiles could be devastating. It seems crazy they wouldn’t have smaller secondary batteries but I’ve seen dumber designs in anime… Even assuming they have them what yields, fire rates, ranges, etc.
Defensive Systems:
How strong are their shields? Do they have an exploitable weakness such frequency, specific forms of radiation, ineffectiveness against matter, etc etc? How do the shields work do they deflect, absorb, or redirect incoming damage? Do they have a threshold below which they don’t drain, dose any impact drain them, can they be reinforced to different areas of the ship as needed ? Armor, are the ships even armored? If so what kind and how thick? What about damage control?
Power Systems:
How is power generated? Perhaps some form of magical reactor, or maybe some sort of “tap” into dimensional space, could be good old fashion fusion for all we know. Tying into this how stable is it? Meta-stable (requires active measures to keep under control) or inherently stable. Will it fail safe or fail deadly if damaged? For instance in reality if you damage a fusion reactor… it will 99.9% just stop working fusion is incredibly hard to maintain and any disruption is going to stop the reaction not massively intensify it. Anti-Matter on the other hand wants to explode at all times and much be kept from doing so, if you lost containment on it… BOOM. What some sort of energy tap or magical reactor might do is hard to say.
Electronic systems:
We have little clue what they’re sensors can really do against enemy ships in combat conditions or what sort of ECM and ECCM they might employ. How far can they see enemy ships? Are the sensors FTL, STL, a mix of both? Can they be jammed? How easily etc. What about beaming bombs and stuff is that possible? Dose jamming prevent it and if so in what radius or is it so huge it doesn’t matter. Hell can teleporters be stopped? Or could you potentially beam boarders onto enemy ships? (I doubt this, but I suppose it might not be impossible.)
Other:
Fighters? Do they have fighters, would fighters be effective? If they don’t have them but they might be would they have any kind of defense against them?

Nanoha Space Combat is nearly virgin ground it seems as we see so little of it even purposing tactics for it is difficult, never mind counter measures against it. That said I find the idea of a Star Forge Style mondo automated shipyard somewhat appealing. Something that they HAVE to take out before it ramps out or they’ll be buried under a tidal wave of enemy ships and that forces them into a giant fleet battle over and around it has potential, you might also be able to get the ground pounders involved in boarding the thing to try and disable key systems and disrupt it’s defenses while the fleet keeps the defenders occupied.

A large fleet on fleet battle is better IMO then a fleet vs. super weapon of doom battle all around as it allows for more actual tactics aside from one side just taking horrible body blows while a small group of heroes races in to try and stop the super weapon. It could help make the "extras" feel more important like they're role is really vital for the mission to work and not like they're just meat shields to distract the enemy and get blown up to fuel the heroes Righteous Angry™ while they do everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear
I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of points in your post, save for this one though. Since in Season 1, Lindy and Chrono have pointed out that entire worlds have been devastated due to the power of Lost Logia, and that the power of Lost Logia like the Jewel Seeds are capable of dislocating space-time and dimensions. So we do have some canon precedent for at least the planet and dimension devastating powers of Lost Logia.
"Devastated" is subjective though, a nuclear war or an asteroid strike would be “Devastating.” But it wouldn’t destroy the planet by any stretch. My stance on any talk of “devastating”,” ruining”, or “destroying” planets etc is go the conservative road and assume “planetary scale mayhem.” Not “planet explodes death start style.” Unless either shown or explicitly stated.

As I said though I tend toward a conservative low end estimate of everything rather then the most extreme high powered interpretation possible (and the low end is often much closer to the truth). The fact that all the Lost Logia we acutally see also all seem to fall WAY short of that kind of damage only reinforces that stance for me. (Jail was apparently cramming Jewel Seeds into Drones for instance and I didn't seem them nuking cites anything... Were they more powerful then average for this? Oh hell yes, world ending? Err... not exactly.) Nor dose messing with space and time instantly imply any kind of "Unlimited POWAH!!!" unless further quantified.

Last edited by Tk3997; 2007-09-15 at 22:35.