View Single Post
Old 2012-09-18, 00:47   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And yet, even with that hope, one core fact that I think this episode conveyed well is how there's actually a certain melancholy to Chitanda's seemingly glamorous "family of high status" position. As much as it brings her certain power and esteem, it's all very localized as she points out, and it involves an area that indeed does seem to have a certain aging if not withering to it (it's a truly beautiful area, but I don't think it's any coincidence that almost all of the men we saw Oreki interact with in this episode are much older men).

I can't help but think that there are times when Chitanda would prefer the life of a normal person, and perhaps that's one way in which Chitanda and Oreki are alike. Due to things beyond their control - the family that Chitanda was born into, and the talent that Oreki was born with - It's debatable whether either of them can have that normal life that they probably would like to have. So will they find comfort in each other in living out lives of a rosier color than that, for both good and for ill? I think that the anime ends on a very hopeful note in that regard, but I'm glad it's open-ended.
I don't know about "normal", but I think there's little doubt she'd love to be able to go out into the world and do whatever. She loves her field and her rice, and she loves her people, but her prime characteristic is curiosity, after all.

On the subject of Houtarou's proposal: do you guys think he can do business without involving blackmail?