View Single Post
Old 2012-09-18, 08:09   Link #119
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mich666 View Post
For me that was not closure at all.. (I know it's slice of life but there are simply many other slice-of-life animes that are much much better)

Flaws of final episode:
- for the last episode, there was too much time of nonimportant and uninteresting scenes in preparation of parade part.
This is intentional. The whole series is about Oreki and Oreki x Chitanda. She wanted him to see this world. This is what awaits Chitanda in adulthood. These are the sort of people she has to deal with outside of school, and as a scion of a local family of power. A lot of this episode flows directly from that.

Could the show have done a better job setting this up? Maybe ... we see that the show doesn't have to focus so tightly on Oreki, and his perception of the world, all the time. Arguably the Kanya Fest arc was the best one of the series precisely because the others got more time and development independent of Oreki.

Quote:
- main characters other than Oreki are barely seen for almost half episode.
One could probably spend entire episodes observing the fallout of whatever Satoshi told Mayaka after Oreki threatened to beat the stupid out of him. But, given that the 22 episodes of the show covers 80% of the source material and the fifth novel starts a whole new arc ... well, what we got was probably the best they could do without outright making up material for a couple more episodes.

Quote:
- KyoAni trolling again with ugly animation of parade (if that was animation at all - discarding every second, third and fourth frame). It felt very low-budgety comparing to other parts of the series. And no, I am not seeing it as brilliant choice of mood - for that, I have seen it too many times elsewhere...
This is all to do with the episode's extremely tight focus on Oreki and his point of view. It's all disjointed for him ... he'd really rather not be there, marching in a parade while wearing an outfit that doesn't suit him, carrying a ridiculously huge umbrella, and being completely unable to see Chitanda. The animation goes back to normal the instant he's snapped out of it by Satoshi and Mayaka.

Quote:
- ending scene was graphically nice and well done, yes, but chitanda's talk about her plans of going to college was sort of branching away from main theme they should talk - her relationship with oreki. this was again, uninteresting to me. Why there wasn't some sort of intimate confession under sakura tree, just why?
It's not a diversion from the main theme ... it's directly and fundamentally related to it. Eru Chitanda is duty-bound to honor the traditions of her family, and to accept the responsibilities of all that entails. She said it herself, all the roads in her life inexorably lead back home. One day, when hidebound old men speak of "Chitanda-san," they won't be referring to his daughter. They'll be referring to Eru.

The whole point of the episode is that Chitanda has chosen to share her world, and all its flaws, with Oreki because she wants to be with him. It is vital that he knows exactly what he'll be getting into. For Eru, this is a very intimate confession (the way she shyly looks down and away afterward clinches it.) It's her world and her life, stark naked, bereft of the makeup of sugar-coating, and unclothed of the pretensions of false airs or the flamboyance of Chitanda as THE MOE HYPNOTOAD.

Quote:
Wasted potential of the scene, if you ask me. Yes, you could see that as normal life when two of very close boy-girl students have some feelings for each other but have to go away and never see themselfs again due to other circumstances - but is that really the story we want to see in the first place? (if yes, watch masterpieces from makoto shinkai, this one felt very dull)
They're first year high school students. Given where they are on the social ladder, and what lies ahead, the implicit acknowledgement that they're both still young and that their relationship is just beginning (the whole springtime under the cherry tree motif,) is the best they can do.