View Single Post
Old 2011-05-27, 01:11   Link #2218
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagatob
Not completely related to the topic, but this particular post here made me raise an eyebrow. While I'll agree that the 2nd season wasn't quite as good as the first, it was still rock solid and delivered where it needed to, and even the first two OVA episodes were a wonderful change of pace without not being Shana-good.
The 3rd and 4th episodes? Rather than be descriptive as to my opinion of them it'll probably be more effective for me to simply write here what I screamed at my monitor after finishing the 4th episode.
"What the @^$# did I just wait so many months to watch? NOTHING HAPPENED!"
AKA: The plot didn't move an inch, hell it might have even gone backwards for all I know.

Since I've always been interested in human reasoning and psychology, I really need to know the reasoning/logic behind that statement, as I read it and simply ask myself 'wut?'.

Lastly, to all of the people that keep complaining about they hate Louise, Taiga, Aria, etc. etc. etc. Kugimiya Loli-tsun characters are a staple now and probably will be for a long time to come, learn to love them or just shut up and walk away, if their complaining is annoying to you what makes you think your complaining isn't annoying to the rest of us?
Eps 3 and 4 of the OVAs had Shana act like how I personally wanted her to be - cool-headed, somewhat reserved, neither "tsun" nor lovestruck. She had the personality of what it would be ideal to get the work done and not let her emotions get in the way. It's as if I've watching a completely different character and I was very impressed. That is why I enjoyed these two episodes. I watched it with the mindset that these eps were prequels (prior to Shana meeting Yuuji). From how I interpreted, they weren't for plot progression at all considering Yuuji wasn't even in it but for portraying character development of Shana, in this case, how she formerly was. On the other hand, I've only read the first two volumes of the light novel (and I don't really intend to read more) so I can understand why light novel readers might be angered by this.

Conversely, I personally thought eps 1 and 2 of the OVA were pretty medicore, because they were essentially harem romcom filler. Similarly, the 2nd season consisted of half the season being harem romcom filler.

In relation to blind hate against KugRie, I can understand that it annoy fans of KugRie. I'll admit that I've been discouraged by anime that has anything to do with KugRie myself. However, this is because I almost know automatically what her character will be like. In a critic's defense, over-use of a character trait, genre, trope etc inevitably fuels criticism because it just shows obvious laziness on behalf of the developers. If people associate KugRie as always voice acting a tsundere loli who's going to abuse the main character and then switch back and forth between "bitch" mode and "lovestruck" mode and it turns out to be true 95% of the time, that's a valid criticism. There's very little surprises or deviations from KugRie characters.

I personally get just as annoyed at comments like "Omg KugRie is in it - this show is automatically shit" as much as comments like "If you don't like it, GTFO". People have the right to criticize if an element of a series if they believe it's subpar. Isn't this what AS forums are about - critiquing anime? If people continue to accept medicore writing and characters, that's what we as viewers are continue to going to get. We are almost at a point where we can assume that the next 10 major KugRie characters are going to be loli tsunderes with very similar character traits. That's a major flaw and not good for the industry nor its viewers in the long run. Some vocal discern is needed to keep production quality and standards in check, though I agree that it has to be constructive.

However, this problem is the case for any entertainment medium really.

Anyways, regarding Hidan no Aria, it's a decent anime. It isn't outright terrible, but I wouldn't exactly call it good either. To me, it's an enjoyable show with some glaring flaws.

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2011-05-27 at 01:35.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote