View Single Post
Old 2003-12-22, 21:09   Link #5
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I assume you are talking about "sarashi." It is a 10 meter long piece of cloth that you use it to wrap around your stomach and up to your chest tightly. Think of it as a corset for men.

It is basically a cheap-but-useful protection used by men who gets into constant fights. It is used to reduce the power of another person's blow and punches. A better idea is to try hitting a wall with your bare knuckles. Then try it with hitting the wall with something like a necktie wrapped tightly around your fist. Now imagine how much shock would a punch from another person would asorb if your wrap a 10 meter long piece of cloth around your stomach and chest.

As an added plus, it also works as a bandage if someone stabs you in the stomach or chest.
That's interesting. Sort of a cheap, easily adjusted cloth padding to keep you tight. With the added bonus of hiding a sake gut. I wonder if they put it on by tying one end to a doorknob and then doing a pirouette?

I was also thinking about seppuku, but I don't think it would work to hold the guts in if it wasn't glued down. yuck.

Thanks kj1980, it's great to have someone here living in Japan to answer the obscure questions.

-k