View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 12:31   Link #264
relentlessflame

*Administrator

After reading the opinions in this thread, I'm reminded of one of the main reasons I often prefer to watch shows in small batches rather than week-to-week (and one of the reasons I'm often frustrated by episode threads). I think that if you look too deeply at any one piece of the puzzle, it's easy to spot flaws and to over-think how important this-or-that aspect was about that episode. But as the story comes together on the whole, I think we will see how this small piece of the puzzle fits into the overall narrative. And in that light, I think it's better to take a bit of a "big picture" view, even for those of us who haven't read the novels and don't yet see what the full picture is. If nothing else, it's easy to understand how this chapter of Kirito's game experience will be foundational to whatever comes next, so I think that's how we can take it if nothing else. To that end, whether this episode itself is rushed or whatever else is I guess good for academic discussion and critique, but I think the whole is often greater than the sum of its parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlightz View Post
No offense, last time I checked, forums are places for discussion, not mindless praising something. If people have issue with the anime, whether they are LN readers, or anime-only viewers, they should be able to voice their opinions without worrying about "ruining the experience for others". I understand it's an adaption, which means there will be cuts here and there, but I hoped it would be able to maintain the impact of contents. I was a bit disappointed. The episode itself is okay, better than average I guess, but it's far from excellent or perfect - even anime viewers who have no idea of the original story can see it was rushed after all.
I think the intention of the comment wasn't to stop people from stating their honest opinions (no one wants "mindless praising"). But, if an episode thread gets too overwhelmed by novel readers nitpicking the specific parts of the novel that were altered, it can distract from discussion of the anime episode itself. To that end, I see that a thread has been created specifically for Episode-to-Novel comparisons, so the in-depth comparisons can be funnelled there. I don't think anyone wants people to mute their opinion, but focusing too strongly on this comparative aspect can also change the tone of the discussion. Comparison is good when it furthers the discussion and adds value to the conversation, but comparison itself isn't really the intent of this thread.