View Single Post
Old 2012-07-22, 14:58   Link #273
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Agreed, this is also why I pointed before that "but it is just side stories!" argument has absolutely no relevancy regarding issues of the episode.
Really, it isn't the content that is lacking, but more like how it was delivered: adding transitions and filling the gap between the scenes don't mean you are changing the content but adapting it so the flow make it less jarring.

Adaptation is always a hard task as the anime should be self sufficient, which is often a problem when content must be cut, but also occurs when the adaptation stays "too truthful" to the original story, to the point the format is really not the best for it (series like Tales of the Abyss got that kind of syndrome).
It is all about what you want to show and -how- you do that. And in this specific episode, while they wanted to show Kirito's plight, that was the only concern in there, so the rest has much left to be desired.
I'll also point out that in the original novel (vol 1), it wasn't even a proper flashback. It was just Kirito answering a question about his past in a few sentences. And it worked, we didn't need more to understand where he came from. All that to say that if you don't have a good delivery, you've got nothing.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote