View Single Post
Old 2013-02-01, 21:54   Link #56
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious108 View Post
It's interesting to speculate whether Masaoka and Kagari being swapped from the usual teams was simply a writing convenience or an actual conscious decision from Gino. Before it was natural to assume that he chose the teams he did because he'd rather not have to deal with his father and old partner and thus pushed them onto the newbie Inspector, but perhaps his father and son heart-to-heart (if you can call it that) with Masaoka in episode 13 has made him rethink that course of action, hence him now being willing to place his father on his own team. Maybe deep down he believes that he might have a better chance of keeping his hue stable with his dad looking out for him?
My view on it is that Gino initially put Masaoka and Kogami on Akane's team because Masaoka and Kogami both used to be Detectives and hence could be helpful in showing the newbie the ropes.

Gino's confidence in Akane has gradually risen (due to her standing up for herself against him, and also due to what she did to try to catch Makishima). So Gino no longer feels a need to put both ex-Detectives on Akane's team. She can afford to lose "the training wheels", and so Gino makes more balanced teams of One Detective, One Ex-Detective, One True Enforcer.

But in fairness, I think that after his heart-to-heart with his dad, Gino doesn't mind having Masaoka on his team, and may, as you say, even feel a bit more comfortable with his dad there. And I'll say this... No matter how much a strained history there was between my own father and I, if the two of us were both going into the same warzone, I'd want to keep my father close to my side. I'd hate nothing more than hearing about him dying as a member of a different team - That would keep me up at night wondering if I could have prevented his death if he was on my team.

At a meta-level, there's many possible reasons for Kagari being put on Akane's team. One I want to throw out there - The Enforcer most likely to be swayed by Makishima making an anti-Sybil speech is Kagari. Just something to think about...