Old 2013-05-08, 10:10   Link #344
terribad

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebreaker View Post
Food for thought here -
Volume 7 is generally about parallels, such as:
Ebina = Hachiman = (Yukino in the past)
Tobe = Yui = (Hayato in the past)
The situation between Ebina and Tobe is solved through warning off the side that is trying to confess. In the end, Tobe is happy, Ebina is happy.
The situation between Hachiman and Yui is handled the exact same way - Yui was warned to not confess. Why did it turn into a turmoil?
Currently the only explanation I thought of is that Yui's feelings for Hachiman is way stronger compared to Tobe's feelings to Ebina. Thoughts?
Tobe from what was shown seems pretty well adjusted. On the other hand Yui has to deal with two of her friends, Yumiko and Yukino, (hating?) each other and whatever issues she acquired from her implied troubled past. Perhaps she used her feelings as means to deal with her problems - for example escapism. Maybe she saw Hachiman as a "knight in shining armour". If the above is true, Hachiman's rejection not only rids her of some her means of escapism but adds heartbreak as well.

Another factor I thought of is because the indirect rejections are different:

Ebina
The rejection here was clear and impersonal. The message was "she didn't want a boyfriend" rather than "I don't want you as a boyfriend". Plus there is the implication that her position could change in future in other words hope for Tobe.

Hachiman
His was ambiguous. By virtue of just this, Yui has plenty of room to imagine some worst case scenario. The mind can be your worst enemy in the face of the unknown. Hachiman's previous resistance/rejections aren't helping her optimism. It follows that I think there is likely worst case scenario. She interpreted his rejection as "I don't want you as a girlfriend". If we assume that's true, a future change in position is less or at least more uncertain than Ebina. Because Hachiman likely knows Yui's psychology (involves personality) well, if he's says "I don't see you as a girlfriend" it's based on his psychology and somewhat accurate observation of her's. Hachiman's position is based on their psychology rather the situation as it seems to remain constant in spite of all the volumes passed. If so Hachiman implies that a change of status quo is impossible unless one or both them change. In other words the chances are slim because people don't change their personalities easily or at all depending on who you ask.

Last edited by terribad; 2013-05-09 at 00:30. Reason: Cut the bad attempt at jokes and examples. Cleared up the paragraphs. Hopefully now someone will be kind enough to disagree?
terribad is offline   Reply With Quote