View Single Post
Old 2010-05-14, 19:20   Link #2452
MFSxA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The persecution and forced conversions of non-Christians began around the time the Roman Empire co-opted the religion for its own purposes. Prior to that, the Romans persecuted Christians for not affirming the godhood of the emperor or the supremacy of the state. You're right... there's little scriptural basis (other than the indirect example of the genocide of few "heathen" nations, okay because God directed it - as you say, not for saving because they weren't of the Chosen tribe anyway) for persecution. The persecutory/conversion nature carried on even after Rome fell through the acts of its descendant city-states (Spain, Portugal, France, England, etc) as a cultural weapon of war at the state level (convert or die) and a scapegoat mechanism at the local level (witch trials, etc).
Exactly the point. God, under Christian doctrine does not order, direct, nor abet persecutions for any reason. Jesus Christ himself set the example. The most powerful being did not smite his enemies but showed great patience.

Now if Christians want to obey and follow God, well and good. If they chose to pervert or disobey the teachings, that's their watch. Free will and all.

Quote:
Jesus himself is quite the anomaly in the book with his teaching (gentle almost buddhist-nature remarks if we can trust the texts). One can argue all day about what Paul's interpretation did with the religion.
Well the old quest, new quest, and eventually the Jesus Seminar all paint their pictures. It is quite true though that Jesus Christ was, well hard to describe, just happened that way.

Though I have to say that Paul's view won out because of a vision by Peter found in the book of Acts. Truth is, he wasn't really a person who had a lot to say until after the good part of his ministries. He always needed the approval of Peter and James the Just (brother of Jesus). (Witherington III, Ben. New Testament History. 2001)

Quote:
OTOH, its parent religion Judaism started out heavy on the "you're not a Chosen One, tough for you" and proceeded to mellow over the centuries. Islam (offshoot of the Judeo-Christian line) is more problematic when it comes to persecution of non-muslims.
I don't know, only read a few parts of the Quran, and a small part of the Talmud. Perhaps when I have time, I'd love to read further.

Quote:
As with the Bible, scripts can be extracted to justify many unpleasant behaviors.
This is true especially when they "cut and paste" effectively leaving out the context. But that is why we have our free will, intellect, and reason. Its the information age, verify what one reads, think, discuss, decide.
So I said in my heart, "As it happens to the fool, It also happens to me, And why was I then more wise?" Then I said in my heart, "This also is vanity." For there is no more remembrance of the wise than of the fool forever, Since all that now is will be forgotten in the days to come. And how does a wise man die? As the fool!

Ecclesiastes 2:15-16, NKJV
MFSxA is offline   Reply With Quote