Thread: Licensed Btooom!
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-05, 13:34   Link #185
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The problem is, we're thrown into this situation where the MC's being attacked by a raging psychopath, and I have no reason to root for him. He may grow later, but I need some reason to want him to survive now, and the show didn't give it to me. I'm just supposed to do it because he's been anointed as the MC.

Compare to Kaiji and Welcome to the NHK which have similar type characters but actually manage to make them sympathetic right from the start.
I disagree about there being "no reason to root for him". Yes, the MC isn't the easiest person to sympathize with and I wince at the way he treats his mother or refuses to get a job. However he's still an innocent person being tossed into this deadly game for some unknown purpose and being chased by a lunatic that wants him dead. That's sufficient reason for me to want him to survive, just not as much as if he was more likable. Especially when it's clear that he is hesitant to take another life and it disturbed him when he was forced too. That's something most people can sympathize with too.

But perhaps it's a matter of degrees and what type of characters really rub you the wrong way? I can imagine myself not caring about a MC if they really pushed my buttons, but this isn't one of them.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote