View Single Post
Old 2012-06-25, 14:41   Link #29304
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
I'm siding with Wanderer here. It's likely that her name is Sayo Yasuda. Yet another one of those things that the reader really SHOULD know, since it's probably common knowledge to all the characters.
Well maybe not all the characters. Jessica acts like she doesn't know Kanon's name and so she probably would have to get him to tell her in order to know.

One would of course assume all the other servants would know Yasu's name, however. Otherwise, you know, how'd they start calling her that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady_Bernkastel View Post
oh! now it makes sense.. then, you mean Yasu always looked like Shannon does?
But how come people just completely stopped calling her Yasu one day? the scenes from 1976 showed that sometimes they called him by the name Yasu (if I remember correctly...), but on 1986 no one refers to her even *once* as Yasu. as if there's no trace for the name (which makes you doubt whether they are really connected).
Taking your questions in turn:

1) No, Yasu probably doesn't look like Shannon. I'd be not the least bit surprised if she actually more closely looks like Kanon physically, particularly if she was born androgynous, hermaphroditic, or just flat-out biologically male. Shannon is a physical and behavioral ideal, and if Yasu strove to become Shannon it was most likely only in the behavioral sense. I find it highly unlikely she was stuffing her bra, unless that's just a body image issue we never got enough information on.

In the stories, that does appear to have been the case (at least if we go by Ryukishi's jokes as truth about things), but I would somewhat doubt Yasu-Prime was doing that. She was just a servant who looked different from the way she'd idealize herself to look. Either that or she was even more insecure than she already portrays herself to be, which is possible at least.

2) No one in 1986 refers to her as Yasu because none of the other Fukuin servants are on the island in 1986. Even if they do still call her that (and they may not), none of them are there to do it. One would assume she is not known by the Yasu nickname among the family, so they'd call her Shannon. Genji is a professional and would not call her Yasu anywhere anyone could see her, if he ever even calls her that at all. Gohda probably doesn't know the Fukuin servants very well and might not even know her name/nickname, so he would also call her Shannon. Nanjo and Kumasawa may know, but they have to act like they don't know because they're not "supposed" to know.

But also, all the representations of 1986 are fictional stories. The first of these written - allegedly - by Yasu herself. She's intentionally erasing herself from her own stories for a particular purpose. Thus, she doesn't want anyone calling Shannon Yasu, because in this fictional world there are two servants who represent two aspects of herself and she clearly wants them both to be happy even though she knows it isn't "really" possible. One could even argue it's authorial escapism, allowing Shannon and Kanon to both exist in some form in the story as independent personalities, even if they're the same "person" in terms of the mystery solution.

Also she's really insecure and probably doesn't mind no one noticing she's not in her own story. And part of finding the "heart" is to recognize the person who isn't there.

...But this sort of makes me wonder how stupid everyone can possibly be. I mean, surely Kanon wasn't a thing that was actually going on in real life that anybody credible among the servants believed. If you asked one of the many Fukuin servants who were still employed but not on Rokkenjima on Oct. 4-6, 1986, they would presumably tell you that in addition to Genji, there was one Fukuin servant on the island. They would know this. Or, at the very least, the way Shannon and Kanon behave would not seem "right" to them, as Shannon and Kanon are highly idealized. While Battler might not necessarily know this himself, and would have to figure it out, anybody willing to do even a tiny bit of research into the whole Rokkenjima Incident thing would have been able to talk to one of the many servants who had worked there in the early 80s.

That and, um, confirm that no such person as Kanon ever actually existed at Fukuin (which ep8 at least suggests someone may have actually done), unless Genji doctored the records. And I don't see why he would bother, since he was in control of that and probably wasn't expecting anyone to start looking into Kanon after everyone mysteriously exploded.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote