View Single Post
Old 2007-12-28, 04:48   Link #322
Guppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
Maybe visually, somewhat.. The pink hair, the whole 'biggest singer in the entire galaxy' thing, the obvious political clout both hold over being such popular figures. Dianna/Kihel were just politicans. They were never pop-icons like Lacus and Sheryl and all the Macross divas were. That's why I keep saying Lacus is more like a Macross heroine than any Gundam one.
I can't agree with that. It seems to me that if Lacus were like a Macross heroine, she would get the job done using her singing abilities.

Instead, what do we see? When she goes into opposition against the government, she employs both her voice and her idol status effectively, but it still isn't enough to sweep all before her - she can make a difference that way, but not a decisive one. When the chips are down Lacus ends up relying on her ability as a political leader to get her through, by assembling an effective array of supporters and inspiring them with a vision to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
I'm not putting all the eggs in the basket here. It's a superficial, character archetypal comparison so far. I'm not jumping to conclusions here. It is only one episode so far. If Sheryl pulls a Fllay or or Minmay or Diana or Relena, whatever comes, comes. Like I said, she strikes me as the total opposite of Lacus as far as personalities go, so I'm not even sure I'm disagreeing with you there.
I can't speak for 4Tran, but the problem I have with calling Lacus and Sheryl opposites is that "completely different" and "opposite" don't mean the same thing to me...
Guppy is offline   Reply With Quote