View Single Post
Old 2008-11-06, 23:21   Link #63
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Haki is different from stuff like Reiatsu, Chakra and Spiral Energy because its something thats straight out of real life. Just that Oda gave extreme potential to it in One Piece. Its a 'power up' that relates to the lives of human beings.

Having it and can be taught how to use it, wasn't that what me and marvelB were saying?

Yeah, I think people have to view Luffy's growth from a different perspective. Yes, he's been through many tough situations, but at Sabaody we've literally seen him at his worst yet. He got caught in what was ultimately a helpless situation. Suffering that kind of loss is obviously going to have an effect on his "ambition". Prior to Sabaody, Luffy hasn't really suffered true loss (he came close, but still hadn't truly experienced it). Those kinds of emotions can either make or break a person.... and it looks more than anything like the former held true for Luffy.

So as was already said, Haki (aka ambition/aspiration/drive, etc.) is an instinct, so it doesn't need to be "taught" in the sense where you need to "learn" how to awaken it. It's already inside you. The strength of Haki is equivalent to the strength of a person's character. Luffy and Hancock both have the "king's disposition", so their Haki is greater than others'. In Hancock's case, she was able to develop such powerful Haki because she was being oppressed as a slave. Her will, her determination to survive such cruel circumstances is what undoubtedly strengthened her Haki. Perhaps her will to live was even greater than those of the other captured slaves. So after Fisher Tiger came along and rescued her, she managed to control her great Haki, and afterwards became the empress of Amazon Lily. Eventually she even became notorious enough to be offered the Shichibukai position by the very government that oppressed her in the first place. Yes, there's also her Mero Mero powers to take into account, but I'd like to think that she's strong enough to hold her own in battle without the use of petrifying her opponents....

....Of course, I may as well be looking too deeply into this, but I really like the idea of Haki being more than a simple "energy source". We've had too much of that in many anime/manga as it is.....