View Single Post
Old 2013-03-30, 21:23   Link #14
brocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I do admit I miss the rep system a little, but not so much the reputation as the ability to post little personal asides in an extra "inbox" reserved for semi-chatter. Occasionally, I find myself wanting to make a quick comment on a post that is unnecessarily silly and off topic (sometimes, not as frequent, I want to post some off-topic piece of advice), but since it is so unnecessary I find that I do not want to post it in-thread nor do I deem it important enough to post as a VM (let alone a PM). There is no real purpose to these little asides other than to provide an extra sense of community and maybe a moment of reflection on an individual post, but without the extra "inbox" I find I can not post such comments (or at least I do not want to).
I think having another button on each post (where the rep button use to be) that takes you to the posters VM and links said post could be a suitable idea to look into. You still to retain the ability to make quick comments on a post without impacting the actual thread discussion, except now there's no rep points involved and it'd be public so less snarky jabs for the sake of it.

It's function would be operate similar to how rep did before, except no points, and messages goes straight into the users VM. The actuation would still be the same quick and easy method as the repping had in the past.
Notice a post that you'd like to side-comment on > click button > leave message > message is displayed in VM of poster.

If people wanted to leave private VM's, they should be using PM's in the first place.

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
brocko is offline   Reply With Quote