View Single Post
Old 2013-03-30, 23:02   Link #17
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I'll agree with one thing here... That nothing has really changed. And that's the point, because the reputation system has not changed anyone's behavior. It just gave all the mods a lot of work, and some people too much grief.

However, if people think the removal of the reputation system has allowed other people's voices to be heard any louder, then I think they are dead wrong. I have noticed no difference in who actively voices their opinion and who are actually making the more thoughtful, constructive posts. In fact, it's the same old, same old as far as I am concerned.
I thought the same way myself until just recently, when I got into long debates over Psycho-Pass' ending and the recent Nanoha movie.

The last time I was in a discussion that vibrant, it was over a certain Nisemonogatari episode that I'm sure we both remember well. Neg reps were flying during that Nise debate, and I think it eventually soured things a lot. If the rep system was still around, I think something similar could have happened with the Psycho-Pass and Nanoha debates. But instead, those Psycho-Pass and Nanoha debates became testy, but not quite as downright angry as the Nise debate did, imo. And I think the lack of neg reps might be why.

At the end of the day, I'd rather take a criticism/insult to the face from someone not wearing a mask of anonymity than take a criticism/insult to the back from someone who attacks from the shadows. The latter is significantly more annoying than the former, imo. And I don't think I'm alone in feeling this way.

It's not that people are fearful of a little bit of criticism, it's that it's annoying to get it from someone who you can't even respond to.